A medical laboratory technologist is an essential member of the healthcare or medical profession; their jobs enable accurate diagnoses and prescriptive treatment based upon revealed test results.
Therefore, immigrating to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist means filling a vital niche where your work is highly significant.
In addition to having an important job, you also get massive benefits for living in Canada and becoming a permanent resident.
Thus, the possibilities of how much you can gain as a medical laboratory technologist in Canada are, without say, impressive.
In addition, as a member of the Canadian community, you get to live a standard way of life, enjoy the best of work experience, education, health care, social amenities, a relatively stable economy and political stability, where you are free to become whatever you want to be.
Who is a Medical Laboratory Technologist?
A medical laboratory scientist/technologist (MLS) and its various synonyms, like clinical laboratory scientist (CLS) or medical technologist (MT), are health professionals who perform diagnostic testing of blood and body fluids in medical laboratories.
Therefore, the scope of a medical laboratory scientist’s work begins with receiving patient or client specimens and ends with delivering test results to physicians and other healthcare specialists.
Similarly, the utility of clinical diagnostic testing relies solely on the validity of the test methodology. Therefore, much of the work done by medical laboratory technologists involves ensuring the quality of the specimen, interpreting test results, data-logging, performing calibration, testing control products, maintenance, validation, and troubleshooting of instrumentation, in addition to performing statistical analyses to verify the accuracy and repeatability of testing.
Duties and responsibilities of a Medical Laboratory Technologist in Canada
- The medical laboratory technologist performs some or all of the following duties:
- Responsible for setting up, operating, and maintaining laboratory equipment
- Examine and interpret chemical analyses of blood, urine, cerebrospinal fluid, and other body fluids.
- Study blood cells and tissues to determine their relation to various physiological and pathological conditions.
- Select tissue sections for microscopic examinations to demonstrate special cellular tissue elements or other characteristics.
- For transfusion purposes, perform and interpret blood group, type, and compatibility tests.
- Follow already established processes for the analysis of specimens and for medical laboratory experiments.
- Carry out quality control assessment of testing techniques
- Supervise and groom other medical laboratory technical staff, students, and helpers.
- Can help out with pathologists during autopsies.
In addition, medical laboratory technologists may specialize in a discipline like clinical chemistry, clinical microbiology, histotechnology, hematology, immunohematology, cytotechnology, and cytogenetics.
Job description of medical laboratory technologist in Canada
Medical laboratory technologists carry out medical laboratory tests, experiments, and analyses during disease diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.
Consequently, medical laboratory technologists find employment in medical laboratory departments in hospitals, blood banks, research facilities, communities, private clinics, and post-secondary educational institutions.
Examples of roles in which Medical Laboratory Technologists are employed
In Canada, medical laboratory technologists can be employed under many job roles and titles. However, if you qualify under the code of medical laboratory technologist, you may find employment or work as any of these job titles or roles descriptions as listed below:
- Advanced registered technologist – medical laboratory
- Anatomical pathology technologist
- Anatomical pathology technologist – anatomical pathology
- Autopsy technologist – medical laboratory
- Biochemistry technologist – medical laboratory
- Blood bank technologist
- Charge technologist – medical laboratory
- Clinical immunology technologist
- Clinical laboratory technologist
- Combined laboratory and x-ray technologist
- Cytogenetics technologist – medical laboratory
- Cytology technologist
- Cytotechnologist – medical laboratory
- Electron microscopy technologist – medical laboratory
- Hematology technologist – medical laboratory
- Histology technologist
- Histology technologist – medical laboratory
- Histopathology technologist
- Histo-technology – medical laboratory
- Immunohematology technologist
- Immunohematology technologist – medical laboratory
- Immunology technologist – medical laboratory
- In-charge technologist – autopsy services
- Clinical laboratory supervisor
- Medical laboratory technical supervisor
- Laboratory technologist – anatomical pathology
- Clinical technologist
- Medical technologist – medical laboratory
- Technologists supervisor
- Microbiology technologist – medical laboratory
- Registered medical technologist
- Registered technologist – medical
- Serology technologist
- Tissue technologist – medical laboratory
Job roles excluded from the Medical Laboratory TechnologistNOCcategory.
- Life science technologists in non-medical laboratories
- Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants
- Science technologists in non-medical laboratories
Immigrate to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist
In-demand occupations on the Canadian NOC Lists are assigned a code; thus, the code to immigrate to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist is 3211.
Likewise, in the National Occupation Code classification, the code for Medical laboratory technologists immigrating to Canada indicated that Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments, and analyses to assist in diagnosing, treating, and preventing disease.
Qualification Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist
- You must have obtained a 2 or 3 years college program in medical laboratory technology.
- Undergone a period of supervised practical training in the field.
- Registration with a regulatory body is needed in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
- Employers require you to be certified by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science.
General Requirements to Immigrate to Canada
A high score in the following under-listed immigration criteria gives you good CRS Points. Thus, by calculating your Canada Immigration points for the Express Entry pool using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System, your Canadian immigration process can have a good chance of pulling through:
- Your age
- Academic Qualifications
- English language proficiency
- French language proficiency
- Your spouse’s skills/qualification
- Work experience
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada
- It is important that you register with a regulatory body in provinces like Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
- Obtain certification from the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science.
Immigrate to Canada as a Longshore Worker
Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist
You can immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist in numerous ways. These include;
- Directly through Express Entry
- Immigration through a Job Offer
- Through a Provincial Nomination
Medical laboratory technologists qualify to apply for Canada Immigration under several Canadian immigration pathways; this is a result of the ever-increasing demand for qualified medical laboratory technologists in the provinces of Canada.
Therefore, the following are several options in which you can immigrate to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist:
- Express Entry
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Permanent Residency Visa
Steps to Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist
Upon satisfying the occupational and academic criteria to immigrate to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist, the next thing is to follow the step-by-step guide to make your immigration to Canada possible.
Firstly, create the best Express Entry profile possible by meeting all the required benchmarks of Canadian Immigration.
In addition, you should undergo a free online visa assessment to check your chances of meeting the requirements for Canadian immigration and whether you have the necessary points to immigrate to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist.
Secondly, register in the Express Entry pool and wait for an Invitation to Apply. When you receive an Invitation to apply (ITA) from Canadian Immigration after qualifying in the Express Entry application, you only have 60 days to send your application formally.
Thirdly, ensure all your credentials check out to be good; likewise, verify your qualifications using the standard testing, education equivalence certificates assessment, skilled worker assessments, and your language proficiency test.
Fourthly, submit your best application after your invitation to apply for Canadian Visa since your express entry profile is only valid for one year.
Therefore, make sure to meet all the requirements and benchmarks so you can take advantage of your opportunity to be in Canada as a qualified medical laboratory technologist.
Fifthly, ensure that all your academic qualifications and certificates are assessed by the relevant and approvedECAas mandated by Canadian immigration.
Finally, you must clear all background checks, security, and medicals before formally granting your Permanent Residency Visa.
What can I earn by immigrating to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist?
- An entry-level Medical laboratory technologist having less than five years of work experience will expect to earn a median salary of about C$68,400 per year.
- Meanwhile, a Medical laboratory technologist with mid-level work experience can earn an average overall salary of C$108,300 per year.
- Similarly, an experienced Medical laboratory technologist with 10 – 20 years of work experience will earn an average total salary of C$166,877 per year.
- Likewise, a Medical laboratory technologist with late-career work experience can earn an average salary of C$299,000 per year.
- Nevertheless, these averages often are differences between sectors and additionally by geographical locations. Therefore, these stats should be used purely as an indicative guide.
- Saskatoon + 30%
- Calgary + 29%
- Toronto + 24%
- Montréal + 18%
- Vancouver + 8%
- Victoria + 8%
- Lethbridge + 5%
- Edmonton + 2%
Immigrate to Canada as an Office Support Worker
Frequently Asked Question
If I immigrate to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist and secure a Permanent Residency, what benefits my family and me?
- You get to live and work in Canada
- Enter and leave Canada without restriction
- Study in any Canadian institution of choice
- Get access to world-class Canadian healthcare
- Access to good social benefits
- Become a citizen and dual nationality after four years
- Solid protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
To conclude, there are lots of benefits you and your dependents stand to enjoy if you make it to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist; aside from enjoying a balanced work-life, you get access to the best facilities you can find anywhere in the world, that will make your job enjoyable.
People Also Read:
Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist? ›
The employment outlook will be very good for Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 3211) in Ontario for the 2022-2024 period.Is medical laboratory technologist in demand in Canada? ›
The employment outlook will be very good for Medical laboratory technologists (NOC 3211) in Ontario for the 2022-2024 period.How can a medical laboratory scientist move to Canada? ›
To work in Canada as a medical laboratory technologist, you must become certified through the CSMLS. We offer a certification examination, which is to be written in-person, at a designated examination site in Canada.How to apply in Canada as medical technologist? ›
A two- or three-year college program in medical laboratory technology is required and a period of supervised practical training may be required. Registration with a regulatory body is required in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.Does Canada accept ASCP certification? ›
Following your training, you can sit the exam right here in Canada, or in the USA depending on your choice The exam is administered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), and is a legal requirement before you can practice Medical Laboratory in not only United State but many countries with membership of ...What is the salary for MLT in Canada? ›
The average medical laboratory technologist salary in Canada is $69,518 per year or $35.65 per hour.How much does a MLT lab technician earn in Canada? ›
The average laboratory technician salary in Canada is $53,563 per year or $27.47 per hour.Which country pays medical laboratory scientist the most? ›
Switzerland stands forefront when it comes to paying scientists for their talents and contributions. The average scientist in Switzerland gets an annual salary of $95,000. It is the country designated as highest paid ones for the scientists in the world.Which country is best to work as a medical technologist? ›
Switzerland is among the global leaders in the medtech industry. The country is known for research, development, and production in this sector with first-class research institutions, a sophisticated healthcare system, and expertise in precision technologies. Distal Motion, Symetis, CeQur, Medartis, etc.How long is MLT in Canada? ›
Medical Laboratory Technology is a nationally accredited two-and-a-half-year diploma program offered at Saskatchewan Polytechnic in Saskatoon.
How do I take the ASCP exam in Canada? ›
- Login or create an ASCP online account. ...
- Determine your category of examination and route of eligibility.
- Gather the necessary documentation.
- Choose “Apply Now” to access the online application.
- Complete the online application.
- Upload training and/or experience documentation.
As a Canadian Medical Laboratory Technologist you are eligible for TN1 Visa (non-immigrant) under North American trade agreements.What is the highest salary of Medtech in Canada? ›
The average medical technologist salary in Canada is $71,368 per year or $36.60 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $62,203 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $85,664 per year.Is medical lab technician regulated in Canada? ›
Regulations and laws
Medical laboratory technologists are regulated in Alberta, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
While lab technicians can conduct a variety of basic tests, such as blood work or urine analyses, technologists can perform more complex testing. For example, technologists may work in laboratories that use special equipment to identify and diagnose cancer cells.How do I become a medical laboratory technologist in Ontario? ›
Medical Laboratory Assistants/Technicians (MLA)
Students receive training at vocational or community colleges and may be certified by the Medical Lab Professionals' Association of Ontario (MLPAO, formerly OSMT). MLPAO approved training programs are available from a variety of private, vocational and community colleges.
|Annual Salary||Weekly Pay|
The average salary for a Medical Laboratory Technologist is $77,605 in Toronto, ON.What is the highest salary of medical laboratory technology? ›
What is the highest salary for a Medical Lab Technologist in India? Highest salary that a Medical Lab Technologist can earn is ₹7.3 Lakhs per year (₹60.8k per month).How much does a MLT lab technician earn in USA? ›
|Annual Salary||Hourly Wage|
How much does MLT make Nova Scotia? ›
The average salary for a Medical Laboratory Technologist is $69,468 in Halifax, NS.How much does a biotech laboratory technician earn in Canada? ›
The national average salary for a Biotechnology Technician is $54,099 in Canada. Filter by location to see Biotechnology Technician salaries in your area.What is a medical laboratory scientist called in USA? ›
A medical laboratory scientist (MLS), also known as a medical technologist or clinical laboratory scientist, works to analyze a variety of biological specimens. They are responsible for performing scientific testing on samples and reporting results to physicians.Are medical laboratory scientists in demand in USA? ›
Employment of clinical laboratory technologists and technicians is projected to grow 7 percent from 2021 to 2031, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
Job stress is common, with 96.1% reporting they experience "a little bit" to "a lot of stress." Most commonly, stress was related to workload or call duties.What state pays medical lab techs the most? ›
Medical Technologist Salary By State: Highest-Paid Medical Technologists by State  Research Summary. After extensive research by the Zippia data science team, we identified these details of medical technologist salary by state for the United States: Alaska has the highest medical technologist salary of $79,790.What is the average age of a medical technologist? ›
At 43.7, the average age of certified medical technologists is slightly older than that of nurses (43.3). The laboratory personnel labor force is aging at a 78 percent faster rate than the entire US labor market.Which country is the leader in medical technology? ›
The answer to the question, “what country leads the world in medical innovation?” is the United States. Medical industry professionals all over the world would have to agree that the top medical technology currently being used around the world has ties to the U.S.Is MLT better than MLS? ›
The Difference Between MLT and MLS
Earning an MLT allows people to enter the medical laboratory profession. Earning an MLS prepares graduates for a higher level of responsibility in the field, including overseeing technicians' work.
32120 – Medical laboratory technologists.
What does a medical lab technician do Canada? ›
Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. Medical laboratory technologists who are also supervisors are included in this group.Is it hard to pass ASCP? ›
ASCP BOC exams are difficult, so it may be wise to consider purchasing test prep resources and/or workbooks. These not only guide the candidate through the specific knowledge and skills that are the focus of their specific exam, but also often provide sample questions and tests that are invaluable practice.Is ASCP accepted in Dubai? ›
ASCP certification is accepted by all U.S. states and territories and the cities of Abu Dhabi and Dubai for licensure purposes, provided the individual meets all other licensure requirements.What is the difference between ASCP and ASCPi? ›
One of the key differences is that ASCPi certification tends to eliminate specific time and credit hour requirements as these may vary from country to country. Also, different countries have different accreditation boards, which the ASCP's Board of Certification will take into account when determining eligibility.Which country is best for lab technician course? ›
Answer- The USA, Canada, and Malaysia are among the best countries to pursue a lab technician course.What do you call medical technologist in USA? ›
Medical technologists, also called medical laboratory scientists, clinical laboratory technologists, or technicians, often work in hospitals, diagnostic laboratories, physicians' offices, outpatient care centers, or school campuses.Can I go to Canada after DMLT? ›
A. Yes, you can stay in Canada after completing your Diploma in Medicine course. However, for that, you need to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit.How much does a technologist make in Canada? ›
Find out what the average Technologist salary is
The average technologist salary in Canada is $64,460 per year or $33.06 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $51,554 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $81,159 per year.
According to Glassdoor, the national average salary for a Tech job in Canada is $50,237. Entry level technicians can make about $34,125 per year, while most experienced professionals can earn up to $113,006 per year.What is the average salary of a medical technologist in the US? ›
How Much Do Medical Technologist Jobs Pay per Year? $46,500 is the 25th percentile. Salaries below this are outliers. $107,000 is the 75th percentile.
Is there a MLT shortage? ›
According to Forbes, the US currently has a shortage of approximately 20,000-25,000 medical technologists.What is the NOC for medical laboratory technologist? ›
Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.How long does it take to become a lab technician in Canada? ›
Three-year medical laboratory science programs prepare students for careers as medical laboratory technologists. Technologists are responsible for conducting diagnostic tests on blood, tissue, body fluids and other specimens to help detect and monitor medical conditions.Is a medical technologist the same as a clinical lab scientist? ›
The only difference between a medical technologist and a clinical laboratory scientist is the actual job title. These two professions involve the same exact training, job duties and credentials. The only true difference is what job title an employer chooses to use.What is a technologist in Canada? ›
An applied science or engineering technologist apply creative solutions to broadly defined applied science and engineering technology problems. Technologists are innovative thinkers with an aptitude for mathematics and a broad understanding of the principles of applied science and engineering technology.What is the difference between technologist and engineer Canada? ›
Technologists are builders, while engineers are designers. An engineer's primary duties include developing concepts and solutions while technologists transform these concepts into final products. Technologists have mainly practical responsibilities, while engineers focus more on theoretical assignments.How much does a medical lab technologist make in Toronto? ›
How much does a Medical Laboratory Technologist make in Toronto, ON? The average salary for a Medical Laboratory Technologist is $77,604 in Toronto, ON.Who is the highest paid medtech? ›
- Special Procedure Technologist. Salary range: $63,000-$111,500 per year. ...
- Ambulatory Technologist. ...
- Chief Medical Technologist. ...
- Lead Medical Technologist. ...
- Senior Medical Technologist. ...
- Medical Technologist Generalist. ...
- Medical Instrument Technician. ...
- Medical Supply Technician.
The average medical lab technologist salary in the USA is $59,303 per year or $28.51 per hour. Entry level positions start at $48,740 per year while most experienced workers make up to $87,731 per year.What is the salary of medical laboratory technology in USA? ›
The national average salary for a Medical Laboratory Technologist is $60,861 in United States.
What is the highest salary for MLT in Canada? ›
- London, ON. $36.55 per hour. 40 salaries reported.
- Toronto, ON. $26.58 per hour. 128 salaries reported.
- Vancouver, BC. $25.25 per hour. 35 salaries reported.
- Markham, ON. $25.22 per hour. 32 salaries reported.
- Edmonton, AB. $24.92 per hour. ...
- Show more nearby cities.